Not every day at work can be met with unbridled enthusiasm. We all have days when our mental status is just not in the “right place” as we enter the office. Personally, I’m never sure about the root cause of my malaise. It could be anything — an annoying interaction that has lingered, a bad dream or the cheesecake I had last night for dessert. However, it spells serious trouble for my day.
Changing the dynamic, pronto, becomes the first order of business.
Sometimes, I opt to read New Yorker cartoons. Sometimes I call a trusted colleague or friend. If all else fails, I re-read my all-time favorite quotes about work, career and inspiration.
Here are some of my favorite “mood changing” quotes. I hope they offer you what you might need to impact your day for the better.
Choose a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life. – Confucius
- It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it. – Lou Holtz
- Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed – there is so little competition. – Elbert Hubbard
- All things are difficult before they are easy. – Thomas Fuller
- The harder I work, the luckier I get – Samuel Goldwyn
- Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them. – Ann Landers
- The secret of getting ahead, is getting started. – Mark Twain
- It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves. – William Shakespeare
- When we no longer can change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. – Viktor E. Frankl
- There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there. – Indira Gandhi
- Study the past, if you would divine the future. – Confucius
- A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on a cold night. – Marilyn Monroe
- Food, love, career and mothers, the four major guilt groups. – Cathy Guisewite
- Believe you can and you are halfway there. – Theodore Roosevelt
- Change your thoughts and you change your world. – Norman Vincent Peale
Share your favorites in the comments section. I am sure I have missed more than a few classics.
Dr. Marla Gottschalk is an Industrial/Organizational Psychologist and coach. Read more of her posts at LinkedIn.